By Member for Member class days are one of the member benefits of the Duluth Fiber and Handcrafters Guild.
By Member for Member classes are held annually, typically during the month of February.
February 3, 2018
DFHG Studio, Duluth Depot
9:00 am-11:30 am
Serendipitous Knitting & Crocheting with Sue Brown
You will start a triangular scarf, either knit or crochet, that will be lively, colorful and fun. Bring knitting needles size 4 to 7 or crochet hooks size H to K, and any yarn you love, even small amounts. I will have lots of yarn to work with. Materials fee $1.00. Class maximum: 7 people. Call Sue Brown at 218-522-4571 for more information.
Crocheted Rag Rugs with Theresa Hornstein
Our grandmothers used scraps of fabric to create colorful rag rugs. In this session, you will revive the craft. You’ll learn how to do a knotless join for connecting strips and start the rug. Students will have the option to start either a chevron or oval rag rug. Instructions for both will be provided. Please bring scrap fabric, old bed sheets, or other fabric and a pair of scissors. A rotary cutter will be available. If you have a large (J or K) crochet hook, please bring it. Extra wooden hooks will be available for $8. Class maximum: 15 people.
11:30 AM – 12:30 PM
Bring a bag lunch or plan to eat out.
12:30 pm – 3:00 pm
Card Weaving with Teresa Clayton
Card weaving is an inexpensive way to weave narrow, decorative bands for use as bookmarks, belts, and straps. No cost if people bring their own supplies. Simple kits will be available to purchase for those without materials. Supplies include:
- Inkle loom or C clamp (to use as a makeshift back strap loom)
- 4 different colors of yarn or string in matching size (examples: 4/2 cotton, fingering weight yarn, etc.)
- Weaving cards
Class maximum: 7 people. Contact Teresa Clayton at 715-399-8106 for more information.
All Day Session
9:00 am – 3:00 pm
Wet Felted Luminaries with Cindy Ericksmoen
Cindy Ericksmoen will be teaching an all-day class, making wet felted tall luminaries. Bring 2 bath towels and an apron as you may get wet. Materials fee $25.00 (includes super lustrous curly locks, LED light, and supplies). Class maximum: 12 people. This class will be held in the Depot classroom (through the Great Hall, down the stairs, through Eli’s Farm, on the left).
The following classes were offered at the February 4, 2017 By Member for Member class day.
- Paint a Picture in Wool with Dawn Bendiske
- SAORI-style Art Weaving with Kathy Thorene
- Hand Sewing Skill—A Stitch in Time Saves Nine with Carol Colburn
- Machine Knitting a Garment to Fit with Dave Kortier
- Natural Dyeing with Theresa Hornstein
- Temari Balls with Christine Hensolt
The following classes were offered at the February 6, 2016 By Member for Member class day.
- Continuous Weave on a Pot Holder with Dawn Bendiske
- Double Knitting Sampler Scarf with Sarah Hanson
- Spindle Spinning with Louise Young
- Machine Knitting Demo with Dave Kortier
- Basket Weaving Fiber Art Tote with Cindy Ericksmoen